Sunday 17 June 2012

Storiad competition


Storiad is a website that is fairly new. It hopes to link up writers, publishers and movie makers; a Facebook for the industry if you will. http://storiad.com/  You can log on at the site. It’s free for writers. Or follow them on twitter. @Storiad


It makes a lot of sense; writers sometimes get so lost in the world within their heads, how do they meet other writers? It has all kinds of groups you can join in your special interest or you can even make your own. Into true crime? Make a group and meet other writers who are into that too. You can upload your work and hope that it will be seen by industry people.

I noticed a competition run on there recently by a publishing company called Biting duck press. http://bitingduckpress.com/ They are also on twitter @bitingduckpress

I do love Vin Diesel and I had an image of the crazy pet duck from The Pacifier, but the competition looked intriguing.

“We’re looking for `Science in Fiction’, not necessarily `Science Fiction.’ Tell us a story about life in science, or the lives of scientists, or cutting-edge research that’s going to change the way we think, work, and live. Take it one step beyond reality if you like: Clone a Sabertooth, fly to Mars, cure cancer. Make it real, but make it imaginative.”
Spin your yarn in 500 glorious words, or less.

Ooooh I thought, I love writing short stories and one shots. So I worked on something. It was hard to keep it under 500 words and still make it interesting, but I was pleased with my entry. I called it ‘Protein’.

Today I got an email to say I was one of the three winners. Yay!

My prize is publication of the short story entry. The other prize is consideration of a full-length manuscript by Bitingduck Press. It should meet their general guidelines. Briefly, these are: >50,000 and 30,000 and <90,000 words for YA fiction; no explicit sex or violence, short stories only as part of a collection with at least 30,000 words or 10 stories.

What? No sex? Dammit. Don’t they know who I am? Lol.

Guess I had better find all those short stories I wrote and don’t know what to do with.

*Runs off to search her doc files*

No comments:

Post a Comment