Thursday 18 July 2013

Scrivener update

I made an accidental discovery about Scrivener, my writing program from literature and latte. By the way, I am still completely in love with it and my file for Home for Christmas is up to 65k words.
You can make your own templates and swap them with others if you wish. A template is basically a set-up pattern for the program that has some pre-set features. If you were writing a hero’s journey for example, there is a set structure to that kind of story. It has three parts: departure, initiation and return and each of those parts has smaller sections.
Or, if you were working on a Mystery Novel; it has a set format, too. A typical story will contain 60,000 to 65,000 words (205 manuscript pages) and will be divided into 12 chapters, each approximately 17 pages in length set in four parts.
Some clever, more experienced Scrivener users have set these templates up for you to use. I downloaded some templates from a site.  here
Unzipped them and went to install them. I had clicked on one before I realised that it was a Mac program and my version of Scrivener is Windows based.
I do not know what made me do it, but I clicked on the file with the main icon on it, and it opened anyway. Whoa…wait. This is witchcraft. Lmao.
Then I just saved it in the program as a template, and it works just fine.
Maybe I am missing some pretty icons or some supercool Mac abilities - mac abilities always seem to be super cool - but in any case, it works and it has the basic binders, notes, formatting and so on, all in the right places.
The things you find out when you keep clicking!


No comments:

Post a Comment