Wednesday 18 June 2014

Every time I close my eyes


In one sentence is the spark of a story. Ignite.

Mission: Write a story, a description, a poem, a metaphor, a commentary, or a memory about this sentence. Write something about this sentence.

Be sure to tag writeworld in your block!
http://writeworld.tumblr.com/post/89073220504/every-time-i-close-my-eyes-i-see-it-all-over-again
“Every time I close my eyes, I see it all over again.” She whispered it as if it was a forbidden confession.
Sitting with his back against the wall, he hugged her close. “That’s understandable.”
“But...” she hesitated. “I should be over it by now.”
“Why?”
“It’s been long enough.”
He shook his head and tried to hold her even closer. “Everyone does this at different rates. What might take one person days to get over could take another months or years.”
She made a small noise that sounded like surprise. “When did you get so smart?”
“When I started hanging out with you.”
A chuckle. “I do keep telling you that.”
“See? I do listen.”
She shuffled down against him and made herself more comfortable.
He felt her take a deeper breath and some of the tension in her body abated.
“C-can... we just stay here... for a bit?” she asked carefully.
“Sure.” His heart almost leapt.
“You don’t mind?”
“I don’t mind.”
“You won’t hurt your neck? You’re at a weird angle.”
“I’m fine and I heal faster than you do.”
“Yeah. I noticed that.” She was speaking slowly with long pauses between the words.
“There you go.” He risked a gentle pat of her hair. “Go to sleep,” he ordered.
“You ... can’t tell me... wha-”
She was asleep. Her nightmares had exhausted her. He inhaled and decided that with her scent so close, he’d sleep better, too. He closed his eyes.
~~~~
© AM Gray 2014


No comments:

Post a Comment