Sunday 1 June 2014

This is your fault, Mary Stewart.

Today, I was dropping kid 3 at a friend’s house and I saw a banner for a book sale. Oooh… maybe they will have those missing volumes of Mary Stewart I was looking for, I thought.
I took kid 1 with me and thirty-one books later we staggered out the door again. They were priced at one dollar each and the money went to Lifeline, an Aussie charity. At one stage a nice lady handed me a large cardboard box to put them all in.
One thing that was interesting was to see how often the same volumes had been donated: lots of new Bourne by van Lustbader (I admit to marking that one ‘did not finish’ myself), Patricia Cornwell, Paullina Simons and Tom Clancy.
I was very surprised to see Rosemary Rogers in the romance section. I used to read her bodice rippers in junior high school. Most notably, out loud to all my friends in a ‘hey get a load of this’ way. It was a recent one, too. I came home and Googled her to find that she is eighty-one and still writing. That’s something we can all aspire to.
But now, my Goodreads to-read list is 150 books. 
Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment